Helpful Tips !
- Place all smaller items in uniformly sized boxes. Put heavier items on the bottom and lighter
ones on top.
- Use bubble wrap or peanuts to fill in the empty spaces.
- Lawn Mowers: Drain the gasoline and oil from small engines. This will protect both your
stored property and the property of others from the dangers of fire and explosion.
- Mattresses: Place mattresses in plastic covers to protect them from dust and moisture.
- Leather items: Treat leather items (couches, clothes, etc) with a leather conditioner prior to
- Keep furniture items off the floor by placing them on pallets which we have available for your use.
- Clothes, Blankets, Quilts & Drapes: Cover them in plastic and hang them from a bar, or place
in wardrobe box.
- For furniture and tables, place blankets over furniture to protect them from
scratches and dust.
- Breakable items: Wrap breakable items inside bubble wrap and store with linens.
- Appliances. Clean and dry all appliances prior to storage. Do not leave anything inside the appliance.
Store appliances upright with doors ajar to allow ventilation.
- Wipe metal surfaces with a few drops of machine oil to retard rust.
Organizing your storage unit
- Leave a small airspace between your stored items and the wall the storage unit for ventilation.
- Store items that will not be needed to the rear and item you will need access to towards the front.
- Cover everything with plastic sheeting.
- Pack your storage unit as tightly as possible. Tighter packing helps to protect stored items from
moisture and dust.
- Use a high quality disc lock. This lock is very difficult to cut and offers maximum protection for
very little money.
- Group boxes and items by category, winter clothes here, sporting items there.
- Label all boxes.
- Put up shelving for maximum storage space.
- Create an inventory of contents in your unit.